Dear Valued Supporter,
Last Friday the Hornsby Chamber of Commerce celebrated it’s 100th birthday in a spectacular fashion. It was a true reflection of the Chamber’s motto “building strength in business together”.
The Chamber was founded after the conclusion of the First World War by a group of twenty-six local business owners, all located to the east of the railway station. Since then, it has grown to incorporate a wide range of business all across the Hornsby Shire and beyond.
Councillor and local historian Nathan Tilbury shared how the Chamber has played an important role in many changes and developments around the Shire, including lobbying for electric lighting, the introduction of late night shopping, the construction of Hornsby Hospital, the addition of roads and freeways, helping unemployed people find jobs and more.
Hornsby Shire Mayor, The Hon. Phillip Ruddock, helped to present special surprise awards to Members whom have demonstrated long term support and commitment not only to the Chamber, but the local community. Recipients included:
- Chris George of FinanceEquipment.com.au
- Darren Hart of Darren Hart Photography
- Doug Spencer of Miller Noyce
- Jo & Brian Moffat of SOS Removals
- Mario Di Bernardo of NAB Hornsby
- Vicki Martin of Objective Solutions
Executive Committee Members Mandy Taylor (President) and Alexi Boyd (Vice President) announced the recipients of the first-ever Hornsby Chamber Community Grant, cementing our new commitment to be “the Chamber of Charities”. Formal presentations to these organisations will be made over the coming weeks.
Attendees were treated with an outstanding meal cooked by Stuart and the team at Asquith Golf Club, and a lovingly crafted cake from Bite Me Bakehouse for dessert.
Preparations for the night began well over six months ago and dozens of people were involved along the way. As well as those previously mentioned, we would also like to thank the following:
- The Hornsby Shire Historical Society (& Greg Wilkinson of Smartline Mortgages for liaising)
- Darren Hart (Executive Committee Member) of Darren Hart Photography (photos)
- David Baker of RedBellyBlack Production & Media (video)
- Jason Parry of D7 Studios (DJ)
- Chris George of FinanceEquipment.com.au (commemorative mug transportation)
- Lana & Scott Vickery of Signarama Hornsby (large novelty cheque)
- The Staff and Councillors of Hornsby Shire Council in attendance
- Members who assisted in set up / pack up on the night
- The remainder of the Executive Committee Team (whom have worn many, many hats over the last few months)
- Nilesh Golani (Treasurer) of Aplus Tax Solutions
- Shelley Duffy (Secretary) of Simply Visas
- Harrison George of AstroWebDesign.com.au
- Anyone else we somehow managed to miss (we’re sorry)
Lastly, we want to thank all our Members, both current and former, and all those who have played a role in shaping this Chamber over the last 100 years. We wouldn’t be here without you.
We hold around twenty events every year and would love to see you at another one soon!
Here’s to another 100!
The Executive Committee Team
Hornsby Chamber of Commerce